Walnut Cookies (Orehovki)


 Walnut cookies

(Bulgarian- Style Recipe)


It may seem strange, but growing up in Bulgaria, we didn't have chocolate chip cookies or oatmeal cookies, which are so famous here in America. We had different type of cookies, and the walnut ones were probably my favorite. So that's why I decided to share :) 

P.S. The Bulgarian name is Orehovki (Oreh means walnut)

Ingredients: 

3 egg whites (or 1/4 cup if you are using a carton of egg whites)
1 1/4 cup walnuts 
1 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
a few dark chocolate baking ships (less than 1/4 cup). The baking chips are optional, and if using, use a little less than 1 cup of sugar.

Preparation:

1. Finely chop/grind the walnuts- I use a mortar to grind them because I like some walnut pieces, but you can use a spice/coffee grinder if you prefer the walnuts finely grinded

2. I place a cooking pan with water on the stove, medium- low heat. I place a smaller size pan with the egg whites. Using a hand mixer, when the egg whites become foamy, I add the sugar and the chocolate. I remove from the stove when the chocolate is melted and everything is combined. (total time- approx. 2 min)


3. Add the vanilla extract and the walnuts. If the mixture is too "watery" add more walnuts.

4. Place a parchment paper on a baking sheet, cover it with oil (so the cookies can be easily removed). Use 1 tbsp. of the mixture to form the cookies, make sure you leave space between.

5. Bake at 350F for 10 min.



6. To successfully remove the cookies, wait till they are cool. Enjoy!



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crepes (my mom's recipe)

"Cheesecake" muffins

Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Penne Pasta