Banitza (Baked fillo dough)



If you would like to try a Bulgarian meal, I highly recommend Banitza. My mom used to bake it for breakfast (we eat bread and dough-based meals for breakfast). Banitza is also part of the New Year’s Eve tradition- we insert a coin and handwritten whishes to see our luck and fortune for the next year. Since banitza is part of out tradition, everybody loves it, and every household has its own recipe based on people’s taste. I love my banitza crispy with a lot of cheese. Some people like it more greasy, and with less cheese. I am going to share my aunt’s recipe- it is very easy to make- I hope you love it! 

Ingredients:

½ package frozen Fillo Dough (I buy the Fillo Factory brand from Whole Foods)

2 eggs

1 cup yogurt

½ tsp baking soda

Crumbled Bulgarian feta cheese (approx. 1 cup)

Melted butter


 Steps: 

1) Thaw the fillo dough, so it is easy to work with and it doesn’t break 
2) Preheat oven to 350F
3) Combine the yogurt with the baking soda and add the 2 eggs to the mixture. Stir well. 
4) Lay 2-3 sheets of fillo dough on a flat surface and evenly spread melted butter. Top with the yogurt mixture and the crumbled feta cheese. 


5) Roll the fillo dough and lay on a baking sheet greased with melted butter. 


6) Cook for approximately 40 min until fillo has golden color. 


7) Enjoy!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Crepes (my mom's recipe)

"Cheesecake" muffins

Sun-Dried Tomato Basil Penne Pasta